[lug] [OT] Qwest's changes Subscriber Agreement...

Bruce Raup brauplists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 11:09:23 MST 2006

I have recently signed up with Liberty Bell Telecom, which will get me away
from Qwest entirely, including for local phone service.  The switch hasn't
happened yet, but they were well recommended to me, and they appear to be
quite Linux-friendly.

Speaking of bandwidth, though, I just read an article in the New York Times
business section about how much faster and cheaper residential internet
connections can be in other countries:  15 Mbit/s for $25/month in Japan, 1
Gbit/s for 100 euros/month in Stockholm.  Make my upcoming 0.2 Mbit/s DSL
sound pretty lame.  And expensive, at $35/month.

Bruce

On 1/17/06, John Hernandez <John.Hernandez at noaa.gov> wrote:

> This statement, in particular, is particularly devoid of any
> quantifiable meaning:
>
> "You agree not to use the Service for high volume or excessive use or in
> a way that impacts Qwest network resources or Qwest's ability to provide
> services."
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to see some numbers in terms of allowable peak
> burst, sustained throughput, etc?  How can one reasonably comply
> otherwise?  Sheesh.
>
> Nick Golder wrote:
> > FYI-
> > If you are a Qwest DSL customer you probably received a flyer about
> > changes to their "Qwest High-Speed Internet Subscriber Agreement."
> >
> > I had a chance to review the changes and found that Section 7 was
> > interesting.  So was Section 9.  Time to start looking for a new
> > high-speed provider.
> >
> > New agreement and FAQ:
> > http://www.qwest.com/legal/highspeedinternetsubscriberagreement/
> >

> --
>
> |  John Hernandez - NOAA Boulder NOC - 303-497-6392
> |  Mailstop R/OM62. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305
> |  PGP Public Key ID: 586A7E23

Bruce Raup
http://cires.colorado.edu/~braup/