[lug] install problems for cinelerra

Ted Logan ted.logan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:20:13 MST 2006

On 1/14/06, D. Stimits <stimits at comcast.net> wrote:
> I borrowed a digital camera, which can make AVI movies in short bursts.
> I'd like to be able to extract snapshots of individual frames (I'm
> immortalizing my dog), but am not sure what's available to do video
> editing.

I'm especially fond of Kino; it's a great frame-by-frame video editor
that uses vi keystrokes for navigation. It's built around DV video
(slightly-compressed digital video from digital camcorders; an hour is
about 13 gigs), although I believe it has an import feature that will
let you use the video from your camera (which I presume is MPEG-4 or
something similar).

Kino: http://www.kinodv.org/

(I've used Kino to make numerous videos, including an hour-long bad
sci-fi movie. Installation and setup of dv import can be a bit hairy
-- like many things in Linux -- but if I wanted something that Just
Worked but didn't give me much control I'd use iMovie. Which is too
easy for me to use.)

--
Ted Logan
ted.logan at gmail.com