[lug] [OT] Qwest's changes Subscriber Agreement...

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jan 18 17:23:56 MST 2006

I can look abusive up in Black's.  (It doesn't have a definition for
"hateful.")  But that doesn't answer the question.  Obviously a "harmful
act" is fairly well defined.  But what's "improper, hurtful, offensive
[or] reproachful" in the definition of "abusive"?  That gets you into
community standards.

More than anything else I'm reminded of the attempts to infantize the
entire net to the point where you can leave an unattended 5 year old at
the keyboard.  (Personally I think it's the 9 year olds that you gotta
watch out for.)   Time is irrelevant on the net, but manner and place
are still important considerations so if that's respected (e.g., no sex
talk on the Disney forums) I can't think of anything other than slander
and criminal solicitation (as in "I want to whack my husband", not "I
want to whack you off") that need to be blocked.  And those are actually
criminal "harmful acts", not just offensive words.

Bear