[lug] BVSD Windows vs Mac craziness

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Jan 20 09:20:10 MST 2006

Nate Duehr wrote:

>(Additionally, teachers would also lose things like "tenure" in
>situations like this, but the best teachers would be rewarded monetarily
>just like in the standard workplace.  Top performers get paid.  Mediocre
>performers can usually survive and make a decent wage.  Poor performers
>leave the business.)

... and nobody will touch "career-death" struggling students.

We're all humans here, and nobody can foresee that the C- student will
win a Nobel Prize or that the straight-A student will spend most of his
life driving a New York taxi.

The business model for schools does not work.  Correction -- it does not
work unless you are a corporatist who sees people as nothing other than
interchangable cogs that are only begrunglingly entitled to the same
cash investment.  I'm a humanist -- students have different needs and
"one size fits all" solutions will not work.  Bouncing the question to
parents is even worse -- how many kids would be denied a minimal science
education because of their parent's religious beliefs?  Or an arts-rich
education because their parents expect their kids to also be lawyers or
MBAs?  (Not that our current schools are particularly arts-rich, sadly.)

(N.B., that doesn't mean I think our current system is ideal.  But I've
had discussions with teachers and librarians and there is uniform
concensus that NCLB has been an unmitigated disaster for everyone
involved since it's reduced all education to "teaching to the test" lest
draconian penalties be triggered.)

BTW I think this is a very rich metaphor for the Windows/Mac/Linux
debate.  With the corporatist viewpoint there is absolutely no doubt
that the students and admins must use Windows and nothing but Windows.
Windows, MSIE, Word.  That is what the rest of the world uses and it
would waste everyone's time to futz with anything else.

Bear