[lug] BVSD Windows vs Mac craziness

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Fri Jan 20 12:11:35 MST 2006

Rob> The board's responsibility is to make sure the bureaucrats are
Rob> following procedures.

Which are in place because someone, somewhere, sued them.

Blame the populace that supports insane lawsuits, and blame the
lawyers that take it, and blame the juries (the product of this
education system that does not teach critical thought[*]).

Because of that, it /is/ their job to cover their asses.

Rob> The bureaucrats also failed to enlist local talent who were
Rob> begging to help them.  They did this out of fear.  I don't
Rob> exactly know what their fears are,

Lawsuits (a legitimate concern) and "looking stupid" (not legitimate
in itself, but in a world where the populace votes based on sound
bites, an understandable concern.)

Again: blame the stupid populace.

And it's a vicious downward spiral, and I don't know how to fix it.  I
used to think that I could just ignore it, try not to get hurt, and go
quietly into the night, but now that I'm a parent, I just feel
helpless.

t.

[*] Of course, the government, the media, and industry all find it
    much better in the short run to /not/ teach critical thinking:
    they really want easily lead robots to consume and work.