[lug] Linux and wireless

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Jan 23 13:50:49 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 13:31 -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 01:21:11PM -0700, Craig Talbert wrote:
>
> > AFAIK the ndiswrapper works for most popular wireless devices:
> >
> > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > The wiki has a list of cards known to work:
> >
> > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List
>
> Has anyone used this heavily?  I haven't tried it, and it may be great, but
> the skeptic in me says: "glue buggy Windows drivers on top of an emulation
> layer?  You must be joking."

Well, yes.  I use the Broadcomm 64-bit Windows drivers all the time.  I
haven't had a kernel failure that I've been able to trace to them and
the wireless works quite well.

However, there certainly are buggy/Buggier Windows drivers out there,
and they have full access to scribble over your system memory running in
kernel.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>