[lug] Linux and wireless

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Mon Jan 23 15:49:38 MST 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 23:18, Karl Grill wrote:
> Daniel Webb wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 01:21:11PM -0700, Craig Talbert wrote:
> >>AFAIK the ndiswrapper works for most popular wireless devices:
> >>
> >>http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
> >>
> >>The wiki has a list of cards known to work:
> >>
> >>http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List
> >
> > Has anyone used this heavily?  I haven't tried it, and it may be great,
> > but the skeptic in me says: "glue buggy Windows drivers on top of an
> > emulation layer?  You must be joking."
>
> About 2 years ago, I used ndiswrapper on a Toshiba laptop running Gentoo
>   (2.4 kernel) and had no problems with it.  Haven't had the laptop for
> over a year now, so I don't remember which chipset/driver it used.
>
> Not necessarily the best solution, but it worked.
>
> Karl
> --
> Karl Grill
> kegrill at comcast.net

Thanks for all the help.

I took the easy way out and purchased a D-Link DGL-3420 Wireless Gaming
adapter (overpaid due to impatience) at CompUSA. $103 (w/tax).

it is about 100% more expensive than a wireless card, but I think I will save
that in grief and pain -- to which I have experienced too much of in the last
2 weeks (with wireless networking in general).

Has anyone claimed ownership of the wireless networking of the linux kernel?
Last I saw, the owner didn't really want to have the pleasure.  It seems that
folks are avoiding it.

--
Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute

'A Negotium of scientia reperio tantum
 dissimilis of quam ignarus nos vere es.'