[lug] Linux and wireless

Bamm Visscher bamm.visscher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:09:13 MST 2006

Bummer. I have a Netgear wireless bridge that I bought to connect my
home office to the wireless network a while back. It's nice b/c I can
connect up to 32 (IIRC) devices behind it and they all share the
bridge, but like you, I paid ~$100 for it when buying a $30 PCI nic
would of been a nicer alternative. Worse part about it is I am stuck
with WEP. Thing won't do WPA.

On the other hand, I've used the ipw2100, ipw2200, and prism54 drivers
without ndiswrappaer and without problems on various laptops. I use
the prism54 and ipw2200 in monitor mode w/o problems too. Of course,
these are all pcmcia/cardbus wifi cards, I've always wondered how the
PCI ones would do.

For reference in future purchases:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

Bammkkkk

On 1/23/06, Michael Belanger <mrb at ciclops.org> wrote:
> On Monday 23 January 2006 23:18, Karl Grill wrote:
> > Daniel Webb wrote:

> > > Has anyone used this heavily?  I haven't tried it, and it may be great,
> > > but the skeptic in me says: "glue buggy Windows drivers on top of an
> > > emulation layer?  You must be joking."
> >
> > About 2 years ago, I used ndiswrapper on a Toshiba laptop running Gentoo
> >   (2.4 kernel) and had no problems with it.  Haven't had the laptop for
> > over a year now, so I don't remember which chipset/driver it used.
> >
> > Not necessarily the best solution, but it worked.
> >
> > Karl
> > --
> > Karl Grill
> > kegrill at comcast.net
> > Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> I took the easy way out and purchased a D-Link DGL-3420 Wireless Gaming
> adapter (overpaid due to impatience) at CompUSA. $103 (w/tax).
>
> it is about 100% more expensive than a wireless card, but I think I will save
> that in grief and pain -- to which I have experienced too much of in the last
> 2 weeks (with wireless networking in general).
>
> Has anyone claimed ownership of the wireless networking of the linux kernel?
> Last I saw, the owner didn't really want to have the pleasure.  It seems that
> folks are avoiding it.
>

> --
> Michael Belanger
> CICLOPS, Space Science Institute
>
> 'A Negotium of scientia reperio tantum
>  dissimilis of quam ignarus nos vere es.'

sguil - The Analyst Console for NSM
http://sguil.sf.net