[lug] Linux and wireless

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Tue Jan 24 10:25:29 MST 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 10:15, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > That doesn't help you right now, though.  For the short term, look for
> > the Intel IPW chipsets; they are well supported in current kernels.  For
> > Atheros chipsets you can use the highly experimental native driver from
> > www.ath-driver.org, or go with the madwifi drivers (madwifi.net).  Some
> > distributions (i.e. Ubuntu) will install madwifi for you.  Madwifi still
> > has a proprietary blob, but at least it's a meant-for-Linux proprietary
> > blob.  For Broadcom chipsets, there is an experimental driver in
> > reasonably good shape: http://lwn.net/Articles/162894/.  Between all of
> > those, there's actually a fair number of options out there.
>
> But very difficult to match up Vendor names with chipsets.  Standing in
> a typical computer store, staring at boxes, noticing that there's now a
> new "rev 04" of some stupid card that had the right chipset in it three
> revisions ago, and that's the latest information on the web... is a
> maddening experience.

This version garbage problem is everywhere.  I bought a linksys router and
needed a repeater/extender for it.  I bought one -- no work.  I called
support, they tell me I need 'version 2' of the expander to work with my
router.  I return the expander and hunt for version 2 (maddening experience).
I found it!  I get it plug it in, no work!!!!  I called linksys support and
now they are saying I need 'version 2' of my ROUTER to work with this
expander!!!  Why can't they just make an expander that works with all their
products!! Very stupid.  No more linksys.

Also.  The little blackbox solution seems to irritate a preexisting problem
with my NIC (Some 3com soho ethernet card).  Something is shutting off or
uninstalling the card!  Something is sensing the connection and any drops,
hiccups or anything, it just blows my card out of memory!!  Anyone see this
before?  I am going to try a different card tonight, but it really sounds
like it is a 'helpful' service gone bad!  (Fedora Core 4).

Thanks for any assistance!

> Nate

Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute

'A Negotium of scientia reperio tantum
 dissimilis of quam ignarus nos vere es.'

phone. 720-974-5853   Jabber: mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
fax.   720-974-5860

DISCLAIMER:
The Sender and Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations
accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information
provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in
writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in