[lug] Linux and wireless

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:54:03 MST 2006

On 1/23/06, Michael Belanger <mrb at ciclops.org> wrote:

> Does anyone here have any success stories or opinions regarding wireless
> cards?  Is there a list of cards/chipsets that are supported in the 2.6
> kernel? (Fedora Core 4)

For what it's worth, I've noticed that the older cards (b and regular g) are
better supported. Your pipe out to the Internet is seldom fast enough to
make you notice the difference between faster and slower wireless cards, so
get the slower (older) ones.

I had an RT2500 card for a while that was very well supported -- you had to
download the GPL'd driver from the company that makes the chipset, but it
was smooth sailing from there. They even had a Linux port (GPL) of their
connection manager GUI. The problem is, these cheesy companies change
chipsets without changing model numbers, so you never really know what
you're buying.

I recommend going to CompUSA, buying every card they have, trying each one,
then taking back all the rest.