[lug] Disposal printers

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jan 25 23:12:47 MST 2006

Ken Kinder wrote:
> Any super-cheap (don't need color) printers that people recommend with
> Linux? I don't want a lot of hassle setting it up. Needs to be USB.

Can't tell what your level of "hassle" would be, but the small Samsung
laser printers are darn cheap (usually around $100 or less on sale), and
they've had Linux drivers for quite some time now.

Since I bought a little Belkin wireless USB print server, I haven't had
to do much in the way of direct setup of printers via USB on Linux, but
at one time I had the Samsung laser set up to print from the laptop
direct, and I don't remember it being particularly hard to do.

On the wireless server, CUPS can just see it beautifully and just
"works".  No problem at all.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/ is probably the most definitive place to
go to research printers for Linux use.

Nate