[lug] Bug tracking systems

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 26 22:07:19 MST 2006

Bear Giles wrote:
> Another difference is that bugs should be unique, request tracking often
> isn't.

So?  How does that change the implementation of the tracking system?
What do bug trackers have that trouble tickets don't because of this?

> For example, a bug might have rendered 01/01/00 as 01/01/;0.  You could
> have multiple reports, but they should be combined into a single bug
> regarding date handling.  Once fixed, the bug should never return.
>
> In contrast you might have a local policy that whoever replaces the
> toner in the print opens a "trouble ticket" on it.  That ticket is
> closed when the new toner cartridge is put in the cabinet under the
> printer.  This "problem" may occur a dozen times per year, and you can't
> merge it by buying one cartridge to serve three printers.

You don't think that you might get 7 users put in tickets for the same
printer being out of toner?  You'd want to merge those.  Likewise you
might prefer to track a recurring bug separately.  "App cores when I
click here" might happen more than once over time.  Even if due to a
regression you might want a new bug, not to reopen the last one.

Dave