[lug] Linux and wireless

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Jan 27 16:38:46 MST 2006

> That's cool.
>
> What are the "desireable" models of the WRT54GS?  I have one of those
> but I've never put alternate flash on it... just using Linksys' stuff on
> there right now.
>
> Are the WRT54GS's also having the same "upgrade to VxWorks" stuff going
> on with them as the original WRT54G's?
>
> Anyone know?  Or did I just miss it in this thread.
>
> I would guess that the GS I have is going to work with Linux stuff if I
> ever attempt it... since it's probably in the right age range, if the GS
> has this model number fun going on too... at least I've got that one!
>
> Nate

The GS models v1.0 - v4.0 all run linux but the v4.0 was downgraded from
32MB Ram/8M storage to 16MB Ram/4M storage (same as the G model).  The
v1.0 may be the "most desirable" as the ADMtek6996L chipset provided
some extra options for QoS control over the BCM chipset they switched to
in v1.1 of the GS.

The new v5 GS has been further downgraded to 2MB storage and will run
VxWorks.  I don't believe there are any plans for a any further linux
models of the GS.
-Ken