[lug] shutdown question

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jan 27 17:54:08 MST 2006

Nick Golder wrote:
> On 2006-01-20 11:40 -0700, Nick Golder wrote:
>
>>I imagine that 6:00 would be AM and 18:00 would be PM.
>
> I issued a "shutdown -h 14:15" at 13:15 and received a "The system is
> going DOWN for reboot in n" (I can't remember if it said 1 hour or 60
> minutes).  It then halted at 14:15 without issue (all while giving
> periodic warnings in the interim).  Issuing a "shutdown -h 6:00" just
> left the shutdown in the foreground.  Ctrl-C reported "Shutdown
> cancelled."

Mine (from sysvinit 2.86) will warn every hour up to 3 hours until
shutdown, then every 30 min up to an hour, then every 15 minutes up to
10 minutes, and finally every minute.  The shutdown command runs until
shutdown or until it's cancelled.

It uses wall to send messages--that works in a virtual console or ssh
session for me but not in KDE/Konsole.

Dave