[lug] setting up CUPS....

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 17:21:09 MST 2006

On 1/28/06, Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:
> I decided to try CUPS, but nothing is printed.  It's an HP LJ1200 on the
> parallel port, I specified everything on the web admin page, manually
> specified the correct PPD file with lpadmin.  Still, nothing. I don't
> run either KDE or Gnome, but the docs said that it's wizards are helpful
> but not necessary.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  The printer works fine under LPRNG,
> but some sites say that I can get better quality/faster performance if I
> use CUPS & PPD instead of feeding a raw PS stream across the parallel port.

There's something really screwy with cups (now cupsys) lately. I'm
running an hplj1100 (similar to yours?) on Ubuntu Breezy (5.10), and
it works fine, but I'm sure I setup the printer long ago, so it could
have similar problems if I were to delete/redefine now.

Meanwhile cupsys (and related packages) has been upgraded to
1.1.99.b1.r4929-0ubuntu2 both on Breezy (5.10) and on Dapper 6.? (the
development release of Ubuntu). When running dapper, CUPS will not
even recognize the hplj1100 as a printer choice. I had to select the
Epson printer choice and then select a generic hplj4 driver to get the
printer to work.

Pardon my French, but CUPS sucks badly. This takes me back to my
Gentoo days (2+ years ago) when every other CUPS release would fail.
CUPS still has not learned anything about regression testing.

Hope this helps.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write