[lug] Fustration with SuSE

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Sat Jan 28 22:26:05 MST 2006

After great efforts I finally have SuSE 10 installed on my old notebook. I
like Fedora because it installs a lot of development stuff for you like
KDevelop, emacs, Eclipse, gcj. Unfortunately, Fedora won't recognize my
network card.

Since SuSE 10 was 5 CD instead of 4 (like Fedora Core 4) I was hopeful to
get a lot of development stuff but no luck. What is on all those CDs that I
installed?

I cannot even get g++ to work! I tried whereis g++ and it could not find it
on the virgin installation. I tried rpm -iq g++ and it says it is not
installed. I googled the http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/ for g++ and
found other postings. They told me to use whereis and rpm -iq. Another
posting dated Jun 2005 has no response
(http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=16784)

Now most installations use the c/C++ compiler to compile the source for a
new package (emacs, for example). Now how does this work if SuSE does not
even give me g++ or gcc?

I went to rpmseek.com and searched for g++ 4.0 but could only find a debian
distribution!

What are the SuSE counterparts to yum and rpm?

Thanks,
Siegfried