[lug] setting up CUPS....

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sun Jan 29 11:42:11 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 11:19 -0700, Bear Giles wrote:
> Lee Woodworth wrote:
>
> > Bear Giles wrote:
> >
> >> I decided to try CUPS, but nothing is printed.  It's an HP LJ1200 on
> >> the parallel port, I specified everything on the web admin page,
> >> manually specified the correct PPD file with lpadmin.  Still,
> >> nothing. I don't run either KDE or Gnome, but the docs said that it's
> >> wizards are helpful but not necessary.
> >
> > I didn't think the 1200 had native postscript. Are you sure that's what
> > the printer wants in raw mode?
>
> Yup, it has native PS.   It may be a little confusing since
> Mozilla/Firefox require a slightly newer version so you have to call
> ghostscript in its printer command, to downconvert.
>
> Bear

I've got a user with an HP LaserJet 1200 and it works with cups under
RHEL4.  I set it up with the HP LaserJet 1200 ppd option.  The first set
of lines in the ppd are:

*FormatVersion: "4.3"
*FileVersion:   "1.1"
*LanguageVersion: English
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*PCFileName:    "PXLMONO.PPD"
*Manufacturer:  "HP"
*Product:       "(HP LaserJet 1200)"
*cupsVersion:   1.0
*cupsManualCopies: True
*cupsModelNumber:  2
*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
*%pprRIP:        foomatic-rip other
*ModelName:     "HP LaserJet 1200"
*ShortNickName: "HP LaserJet 1200 pxlmono"
*NickName:      "HP LaserJet 1200 Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended)"
*PSVersion:     "(3010.000) 550"
*PSVersion:     "(3010.000) 651"
*PSVersion:     "(3010.000) 652"
*PSVersion:     "(3010.000) 653"