[lug] setting up CUPS....

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Jan 29 12:02:20 MST 2006

I thought LPR and IPP referred to the protocols used to talk to
remote/network printers, not the mechanism driving the printer from the
host system. But that's a moot difference since LPR's reporting
mechanisms are... challenged.

Anyway, installing cupsys deinstalls lprng. When I attempt to print test
pages the queue managers (lpstat in BSD compatibility package, gnome
app) report that the print jobs were cancelled. I don't think the
problem is on the enqueuing side since I can get a print history and
there are files in /var/spool/cups. I know it's not on the hardware side
since lprng works fine. There's a PPD file for the printer in
/etc/cups/ppd. What's left?

Bear