[lug] Re: Problem with resolving

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:06:44 MST 2006

On 12/5/05, Ken Kinder <kkinder at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't have that modem anymore, but I recall running something like
> > nslookup -timeout=3 (domain) and watching the modem intermittently
> > fail to resolve names.
> >
> > I'd urge you to just use a real name server or get a new modem. I had
> > this same problem and I attributed it to the flaky modem. Qwest,
> > needless to say, was of no help at all.
> >

> This may well be the culprit: ActionTEC modems don't like IPv6:
>
> http://balrog.nmglug.org/pipermail/nmglug/2005-August/001185.html
>
> I would still just bypass the modem for DNS. But it looks like it
> works OK for IPv4, which explains why the problem doesn't occur for
> Windows boxes and therefor Qwest's general user base.

After looking at the above link I concluded that Ken was correct in
what he had to say. In one of the other posts some one had suggeted
using a Zoom modem. I went out and purchased a 5590 X6 ADSL modem. It
worked fine as long as I used nat. But I decided to lease a block of
IP addresses and play with setting up a server or two.  Well to  make
a long story short, the 5590 does not work with Qwest static IP
addresses.  So I now I have to take the modem back and find one that
works.

I just thought I would follow up on all of this for the next person
trying to do the same thing.

Stephen Queen