[lug] Fedora to SuSE

Hugh M. Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Feb 3 06:13:30 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 21:12 -0700, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> I just ordered a maxed out 64 bit laptop from LinuxCertified, with SuSE for
> the installed distribution. I've been using Krud (RedHat/Fedora) distros for
> years. Is there a good summary somewhere of the differences between the
> Redhat and SuSE families of distributions?

The one thing I remember is that if you don't want to learn the SuSE way
for editing the various startup/config scripts (like you might have done
in RH/Fedora) then you should either edit the scripts exclusively or use
their GUI tools exclusively.  Mixing the two methods was painful
(because I didn't take the time to learn how SuSE was doing everything
with SuSEconfig).

I suspect SuSE's KDE implementation is a whale of a lot better than the
one on RH4 (which is pain in a multi-user environment and they don't
seem to care).

FWIW,
Hugh