[lug] Commercial rsync service?

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Feb 3 10:53:19 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi writes:
> Doesn't it do some kind of versioning too?

Uh, no.  It's really WebDA. ;-)  It's fortunate the architecture
astronauts never finished that piece.  Otherwise, I bet you WebDAV
would be completely unusable.  As it is, you have to *not* implement
the whole protocol to make it practical to use.  Here's some great
text from RFC 2518:

   WebDAV servers that support locking can reduce the likelihood that
   clients will accidentally overwrite each other's changes by
   requiring clients to lock resources before modifying them.  Such
   servers would effectively prevent HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1 clients
   from modifying resources.

The funny part is that most WebDAV server implementations spend a
tremendous amount of code on locking, that, as noted above, can't
work.

> As long as you understand that this works like cp (see rsync -W).

rsync is extremely efficient, because it compares file dates and sizes
so I can update my 30K file home directory in a matter of minutes over
normal broadband, encrypted.

Rob