[lug] Flakey Hardware?

Steve Sullivan SteveSullivan
Thu Feb 9 20:36:54 MST 2006

Hi,

I recently bought a dual opteron system, with a Tyan motherboard
and SATA drives from monarchCompter.com.
It wouldn't boot, so after many many attempts to contact
their tech support, by phone and by email, I finally got
an RMA and sent it back.

Today I got the rebuilt system.  It still won't boot.
I'm hoping someone on this list has an idea what's wrong
and I can fix it without attempting to deal with monarchComputer again.

I installed Suse 10.0 with no problems.
When I boot the new system, I pick
  SUSE LINUX 10.0 (FAILSAFE)

It goes through normal startup messages like:
  Checking file system
  Reiserfs super block ...
Then I see:

ATA1 command 0x25 timeout stat 0x50 host_stat 0x24
... register dumps ...
Process scsi_eh_0 (pid: 1577, threadinfo ..., task ...)
Stack: ...
Call Trace:  {:scsi_mod:scis_device_unbusy+33}
  {:scsi_mod:scsi_finish_command+37}
  {:libata:ata_scsi_qc_complete+54}
  {:libata:ata_qc_complete+366}
  {:libata:ata_eng_timeout+615}
  {__down_failed_interruptible+53}
  {:libata:ata_scsi_error+21}
  {:scsi_mod:scsi_error_handler+353}
  {child_rip+8}
  {:scsi_mod:scsi_error_handler+0}
  {child_rip+0}
Code: 80 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d3 fe ff ff f3 90 80 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d5 fe
console shuts up ...
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!

This is perfectly repeatable; it happens on every boot.
The same as when I sent it back to Monarchcomputer.
It appears they never even tried to boot it.

Do you have any idea what I might try to repair this?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com

http://www.mathcom.com    303-494-7115