[lug] NSLU2

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Feb 11 11:24:50 MST 2006

Bear Giles wrote:
[...]
> You should be able to include any desired kernel module.  I don't know
> how to change the setup - yet - but I plan to drop EXT2/3 and add JFS
> and selinux.

It may be that JFS is already included if they didn't strip down the
kernel config.

What will you do with selinux?  I've never thought it was useful enough
to deal with the complexity.

> Finally, it appears that the processor speed is 133MHz and many people
> do a hardware mod to run it at 266MHz.  (Apparently it involves nothing
> more than removing a resistor.)  That's sounds slow, but the previously
> used Compaq servers that I used as my file/printer/mail servers for
> years were slower!
[...]
> More to follow, if there's interest....

Sure.  Things I would like to run on a low power, quiet server are imap
and TWiki.

I have an old alpha running TWiki now but it is painfully slow for that
(handles mail and static web pages fine) and doesn't have the disk space
for imap mail storage.

I have a newer machine in the works but it is still fairly loud (disk)
and uses more power than NSLU2.

So I'm interested to hear about whatever performance testing you do.

Dave