[lug] NSLU2 notes

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Feb 12 21:50:23 MST 2006

I'm running Debian on the NSLU2 ('slug') and tried sending mail to the
list from it.  Mail to myself works,... maybe it's an issue with return
address?

Anyway, some notes are up at http://coyotesong.com/nslu2/detail1.html

I can boot from flashed system or directly from disk.  I don't know how
long the latter takes -- the Debian packages don't have a way of
changing the LEDs so it looks like an error condition with cycling
yellow-red indicators.

Postfix installed, and can send mail to myself (via my mail host) at least..

Postgresql installed, database created and accessed.

At this point (and assuming that there isn't a critical problem booting
from disk) my initial impression is that a competent sysadmin can get a
working system from scratch over a weekend.  The biggest time sink is
finding the necessary information -- wikis are convenient but the
information tends to be scattered and the authors assume you know more
than you do.

After the framework is in place (you have a flash image and installer,
you have a tarball of an initialized system) it'll probably be no more
than two hours from original packaging to a system comparable to a new
virtual server at Tummy.  Much less if you're doing it often enough to
work out clean procedures.