[lug] Sound in Suse 10

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Mon Feb 13 11:47:33 MST 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 11:41, Jason Motes wrote:
> Hugh Brown wrote:
> > I'd try booting with a uniprocessor kernel and see if that makes a
> > difference.
>
> I did down grade the kernel to 2.6.13-15 and that did not work.  I also
> tried passing nosmp and that did not work either.

I have seen similar issues with Fedora.  Alsamixer seemed to have bad
settings: some things muted, and depending on your sound hardware, headphones
controls your main volume (bug?).  I have also resolved choppiness by going
into 'kcontrol' and adjusting the sound server settings:

Sound buffer == 8 milliseconds (run with highest priority?)
Auto-Suspend == 3 seconds.

--
Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute