[lug] PalmSource migrates to Linux - NOW :)

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Feb 14 11:26:23 MST 2006

HI,

I had a feeling that the Palm OS was dying after the hardware branch of Palm
released their latest smart phone with Windows Mobile.  Their switch to
Linux, however, is an interesting twist.  They are talking about running a
standard kernel and offering multi-tasking.  These features mean super easy
software development for this platform (relatively speaking) and full support
for all common network technologies out there.  PalmOS had trouble with
802.11b (aka WiFi).

There appears to be a general movement by a few mobile device manufacturers to
offer Linux based devices in hopes of spawning the development of a host of
third party applications.  Development for embedded Linux is generally easier
than development for other embedded platforms (including Windows CE and
Windows Mobile) and it requires minimal upfront cash.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation