[lug] RAM memory modules for old machine

Bethany Hobson blhobson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:12:13 MST 2006

Thank you, Michael, Nick, Ken, and Hugh for you valuable and speedy input.

Here is where I am right now with this.  The old computer has two sockets, a
128MB RAM memory module in one and the other empty.  I plan on maxing it out
at 512MB. So, for those who might be interested:

Kingston @eCost.com    $104.94/module + s/h;
Kingston @PC Connection    $89.95/module + s/h;
Kingston        $86.00/module + s/h;
Dell             $80.99/module + s/h;
Kingston @Buy.com    $68.99/module + s/h;
crucial.com          $64.01/module + s/h;
Crucial @newegg.com    $57.00/module + s/h;
" (refurb) @newegg.com    $54.63/module + s/h; and
pqi @newegg.com        $29.93/module + s/h.

Per Nick's suggestion, I also went over to Computer Renaissance (compren.com)
to check it out.  There, Aaron quoted me: $60/module, installed.

Now, comes the fun part.  Please bear with me, I'm a newbie at computer
hardware work as well.  I've seen other people do it, but does that
translate into something I can do myself?  I'm somewhat detail oriented and
can following instructions, but...?

Anyway, my final decision, to this point, is to go with having it installed
at compren.com.  Of course they didn't have any modules in stock, I have to
bring the hard drive into the store, and I won't have the enjoy and
experience of installing them myself, yet. But once I get the call and take
the machine in, it will be done with "compatibility and error checks."

However, how rude would it be to ask you Nick to check for a couple of used
256MB RAM modules and how much you would want for them?  Not to offend, but
how would I find out about these compatibility and error checking issues
with used or refurbished modules, in general?  Just asking while I ponder
the possibility of installing these myself and figuring out how to backup
11.5GB of essentials, music, and pictures that I just can't lose.

Well, if you've made it this far, I thank you for you time and interest.
Additional helpful input is most welcome.

--
Bethany