[lug] RAM memory modules for old machine

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Feb 14 17:29:20 MST 2006

Bethany Hobson wrote:
> Thank you, Michael, Nick, Ken, and Hugh for you valuable and speedy input.
>
> Here is where I am right now with this.  The old computer has two
> sockets, a 128MB RAM memory module in one and the other empty.  I plan
> on maxing it out at 512MB. So, for those who might be interested:
>
> Kingston @eCost.com    $104.94/module + s/h;
> Kingston @PC Connection    $89.95/module + s/h;
> Kingston        $86.00/module + s/h;
> Dell             $80.99/module + s/h;
> Kingston @Buy.com <http://Buy.com>    $68.99/module + s/h;
> crucial.com <http://crucial.com>          $64.01/module + s/h;
> Crucial @newegg.com <http://newegg.com>    $57.00/module + s/h;
> " (refurb) @newegg.com <http://newegg.com>    $54.63/module + s/h; and
> pqi @newegg.com <http://newegg.com>        $29.93/module + s/h.
>
> Per Nick's suggestion, I also went over to Computer Renaissance
> (compren.com <http://compren.com>) to check it out.  There, Aaron quoted
> me: $60/module, installed.
>
> Now, comes the fun part.  Please bear with me, I'm a newbie at computer
> hardware work as well.  I've seen other people do it, but does that
> translate into something I can do myself?  I'm somewhat detail oriented
> and can following instructions, but...?

Bethany, on a typical desktop computer you can install RAM modules
yourself very easily.  When you look at the sockets you should see a
little plastic tab at each end. You simply push downward and outward on
both tabs and the old module should come loose so you can lift it out.
To install the new module you simply line up the notch on the RAM module
with the notch on the socket and gently insert the module.  The plastic
tabs should click back closed once the RAM is fully inserted.  Before
doing this just make sure the PC is unplugged and touch something
grounded before handling the RAM to ensure you don't damage it with
static electricity.

> Anyway, my final decision, to this point, is to go with having it
> installed at compren.com <http://compren.com>.  Of course they didn't
> have any modules in stock, I have to bring the hard drive into the
> store, and I won't have the enjoy and experience of installing them
> myself, yet. But once I get the call and take the machine in, it will be
> done with "compatibility and error checks."
>
> However, how rude would it be to ask you Nick to check for a couple of
> used 256MB RAM modules and how much you would want for them?  Not to
> offend, but how would I find out about these compatibility and error
> checking issues with used or refurbished modules, in general?  Just
> asking while I ponder the possibility of installing these myself and
> figuring out how to backup 11.5GB of essentials, music, and pictures
> that I just can't lose.

Installing memory (RAM) as I described above will have nothing to do
with your PC's storage (hard drive) and should not cause any data loss.
  Typically, if you install incompatible RAM the system will simply beep
at you and refuse to start until you correct the problem.  Once properly
installed, you can throughly test your new RAM by using a program called
Memtest86+.  The Memtest website <http://www.memtest.org/> has
instructions for creating the boot floppy or cdrom used to run the
program and will provide good practice for creating a linux install disk
when you make the switch :)

-Ken