[lug] OPENvpn and having 2 NIC cards

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Feb 14 17:39:43 MST 2006

>>>>> "Gordon" == Gordon Golding <gordongoldin at netscape.net> writes:

Gordon> I have a situation where I want to have my OPENvpn talk home
Gordon> to the Openvpn server from inside someone's network.  They
Gordon> have a 'firewall/Internet filter' that they have no control
Gordon> over.  It's not letting the UDP 1194 Openvpn chatter through.
Gordon> So we figure that we will put another NIC card in and then
Gordon> connect that to their gateway to the net.

One nice thing about openvpn is that it can use any port, tcp or udp.

If you have control over the remote openvpn server you are connecting
to you can change it's port to something else (8080? 22?) and/or
change it to use tcp instead of udp. Most filters will allow things
like port 80/tcp) :)

If it's mad about port 1194 on the client side, you can use the
nobind
option to make it just use some random dynamic port on the client
side. Of course it still needs to know what remote port to connect to
on the server side.

Gordon> Anybody have thoughts on this?  I don't see any configuration
Gordon> in OPENvpn to direct it to a specific NIC card.

local <second nic card ip>

should do that.

kevin