[lug] OPENvpn and having 2 NIC cards

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Feb 14 20:51:59 MST 2006

Gordon Golding wrote:
> I have a situation where I want to have my OPENvpn talk home to the
> Openvpn server from inside someone's network.  They have a
> 'firewall/Internet filter' that they have no control over.  It's not
> letting the UDP 1194 Openvpn chatter through.

Kevin's the openvpn guru so he's covered that.

So you want to put the second NIC in the VPN client and connect it past
the firewall to the gateway.  That may defeat the purpose of the
firewall and expose your client to things you don't like.  Depending on
the network policy and the size and (ill-) humor of the firewall owners
it may also expose you to "corrective action" that you don't appreciate.

Better to find a port that the firewall allows (UDP 53 might be a good
one, or one of the >1024 ports as Kevin said).

Dave