[lug] More Server Problems

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Feb 16 15:51:05 MST 2006

George Sexton wrote:
> I now have a serial terminal session to the affected computer. I'm running
> Minicom and I've logged in as root and set minicom to capture data from the
> session.
>
> The one thing I'd like to sort out how to do is to make SYSLOG-NG echo any
> kernel or other error messages to the console running on ttyS0.

Instead of this have you tried just setting up syslog-ng with remote
logging to capture the errors?  You can tunnel this through ssh by
adding the following to syslog-ng.conf:

destination loghost { tcp("localhost" port(5149)); };

Then setup a persistent ssh tunnel to the destination log host machine
by adding the following to /etc/inittab:

log1:3:respawn:/usr/bin/ssh -nNTx -l user -i /home/user/.ssh/id_dsa \
-L 5149:loghost.server.com:5149 loghost.server.com \
 >/dev/null 2>&1

-Ken