[lug] jigdo help

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 17 12:37:13 MST 2006

I have some machines that only connect with dial-up accounts, so I'd
like to update them with a current DVD.  I followed the jigdo directions
on the Debian site and ended up with two DVD iso files that I made disks
with.

debian-31r1-i386-binary-1.iso
debian-31r1-i386-binary-2.iso

I used "apt-cdrom add" which seemingly went as expected.  The following
lines were added to the sources.list file:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2
(20051218)] unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1
(20051218)] unstable contrib main

This brings up my first question.  Why are these entries listed as
unstable instead of stable?  Second question...  How do I then use these
disks to update the machine?  Running "aptitude update; aptitude
upgrade" doesn't do anything with either disk installed, mounted or not.

Gary