[lug] Time Warp

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Feb 21 15:22:06 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 14:22 -0700, Michael Belanger wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 14:19, Gordon Golding wrote:
> > I have a server that every once in a while, changes it's time - maybe once
> > a week?  I look at it and it's fine for a few days and then at 13:31 the
> > date says it's 7:31.  (6 hours...?)  I thought there might be some script
> > doing it, but I checked crontab for all the added users and root and there
> > is nothing there.
> >
> > I have a little script running now to grab 'date' regularly, so I can see
> > when it happens.
> >
> > I'm in the correct timezone; Denver, not using NTP.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> CMOS Battery.. Replace it.

Linux system time doesn't even look at the hardware clock.  The init
scripts run hwclock in order to get and set the system clock from the
hardware clock.

There could be some script running once in a while that tries to sync
system and hardware time, but it'd be in crontab if so.

Oh yeah, some crons have directories like /etc/cron.d,
cron.{hourly,daily,weekly}.  Check those directories for scripts too.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>