[lug] RAM memory modules for old machine

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Feb 24 15:14:23 MST 2006

Bethany Hobson wrote:
> To update all:
>
> Thought I'd just get my RAM memory upgrade done at our local compren.com
> <http://compren.com>.  Took my machine over to the store.  Watched as he
> opened up the case, blew 6 years worth of dust out, and went to work
> installing the new RAM.  None of the modules he tried worked.  My
> machine either repeatedly beeped, recognized the modules as 64MB RAM, or
> it didn't recognized the modules at all.  He tried all reasonable
> combinations of Kingston and Muskin RAM memory modules, PC100 and PC133,
> 128MB and 256MB.  Admittedly, I'm a bit bummed.
>
> Is there some sort of conspiracy going on here?  Just kidding!  Barring
> any revelations from you out there, I'll order from crucial.com
> <http://crucial.com> or dell.com <http://dell.com> and install the
> modules myself.  Thanks for all the help and advice.

If the Kingston and Mushkin didn't work I'm guessing you're not going to
have any more luck by switching brands.  Sounds like a motherboard or
BIOS issue.  I'd recommend you check the manufacture's website to see if
there is an updated BIOS for your model.  It could simply be the old
BIOS wasn't able recognize more than 64MB of RAM.
-Ken