[lug] RAM memory modules for old machine

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 24 17:40:48 MST 2006

Bethany Hobson wrote:
> To update all:
>
> Thought I'd just get my RAM memory upgrade done at our local compren.com
> <http://compren.com>.  Took my machine over to the store.  Watched as he
> opened up the case, blew 6 years worth of dust out, and went to work
> installing the new RAM.  None of the modules he tried worked.  My
> machine either repeatedly beeped, recognized the modules as 64MB RAM, or
> it didn't recognized the modules at all.  He tried all reasonable
> combinations of Kingston and Muskin RAM memory modules, PC100 and PC133,
> 128MB and 256MB.  Admittedly, I'm a bit bummed.
>
> Is there some sort of conspiracy going on here?  Just kidding!  Barring
> any revelations from you out there, I'll order from crucial.com
> <http://crucial.com> or dell.com <http://dell.com> and install the
> modules myself.  Thanks for all the help and advice.
>
> --
> Bethany

What type of machine it it?  Perhaps it is old enough and a
"business-class" machine type that used ECC (parity) RAM.

I usually use any of the various online RAM finders from RAM sellers on
any odd-ball machines I'm not sure about, find out what kind of RAM they
used.

You don't *have* to buy from them after that, of course, but if they're
within a few bucks of the lowest price I can find for that type of RAM,
I usually like to "re-pay their kindness" in offering up the information
on the web for free with business.

Some RAM sellers give you only their part number and don't tell you the
technical specifications of the RAM.  Avoid those like the plague.

Nate