[lug] Gnome Issues

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Feb 28 12:03:53 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:56 -0700, Dan Ferris wrote:
> So fellow Linux gurus...
>
> I have two computers here at work that are running Fedora Core 4.  One
> is a dual Opteron system on an Asus K8N motherboard.  The other is a
> Pentium 4 64 bit Prescott on a Gigabyte motherboard.
>
> Both are experiencing issues with Gnome where the panel will freeze and
> Thunderbird will freeze.  Sometimes you can do things like open a new
> terminal window.
>
> Has anyone see this?  The only thing that the Gnome Panel and
> Thunderbird have in common (I think) is GTK.

My best suggestion would be to use C-A-F1 to flip to a console (if you
can) or log in from another system, and use strace and/or GDB to find
out what the software thinks it is doing.

Also check Fedora's bug database and report the problem if you don't
find one.

Does Thunderbird try to pop up a notification icon on the panel for new
mail?  It does that in Windows, I have seen.  That may be causing the
problem.  Try turning that off in Thunderbird, or try removing the
notification area from your Gnome panel, just to see if that fixes the
problem.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>