[lug] [OT] Job openings - Solaris/Telco

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Feb 28 16:34:03 MST 2006

Hello everyone,

I know these two lists are generally for Linux folk, but in case there's
any Solaris-heads out there looking for work... our budding
Solaris-heads.  :-)

My employer (Polycom, Inc.) is currently searching for Technical Support
people for our High Touch support group in Westminster, CO.

I figured I'd post some info and my thoughts about the job, and if
you're interested -- feel free to toss me a resume either at my home
address (that I use for the lists) or nate.duehr[at ye olde]polycom.com.

The positions require a good working knowledge of both Unix (Solaris)
and telecommunications technologies.  Large scale videoconferencing
background a plus.

We know not everyone knows all of this stuff coming in, but we always
look for that first.

The posting on the company website makes it sound like a "Help Desk".
It's not.  At this level, we're talking to the same large customers
every day.  It's not a "you must take 25 calls a minute" type of "Help
Desk".

<http://www.polycom.com/company_info/1,1412,pw-12,00.html?trackID=&track=&req=26044&jobfunctions=%2Fcompany%5Finfo%2F1%2C1412%2Cpw%2D12%2C00%2Ehtml&location=%2Fcompany%5Finfo%2F1%2C1412%2Cpw%2D12%2D%2D20716%2C00%2Ehtml&hidID2=&hidID3=>

<http://www.polycom.com/company_info/1,1412,pw-12,00.html?trackID=&track=&req=26026&jobfunctions=%2Fcompany%5Finfo%2F1%2C1412%2Cpw%2D12%2C00%2Ehtml&location=%2Fcompany%5Finfo%2F1%2C1412%2Cpw%2D12%2D%2D20716%2C00%2Ehtml&hidID2=&hidID3=>

(Yeah the URL length is horrible... I know.  Not my gig.)

One position is more "senior" than the other, but everyone works things
together here.  The "senior" folks have additional responsibilities like
being assigned to keep track of all issues for a particular large
customer, and holding meetings with them regularly.  Senior techs also
typically oversee upgrades, maintenance windows, follow up on items
escalated to Engineering, etc.   We also share a fairly quiet on-call
rotation.

The work is generally the same, only the responsibility level is different.

Generally it's interesting work, and the mixture of knowledge bases
(Unix and Telco) makes it a bit of an odd-duck, but also fun.  I've been
doing teleconferencing "stuff" on and off since 1992, with a brief
disapperance into the co-location world and a short stint at another
telco product manufacturer.

If you're looking for a software development job, our group isn't it.
(Although I see one of those posted also... no idea what it is.)

If you're interested, drop me a line.  I'll be happy to answer questions.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com