[lug] Gnome Issues

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Wed Mar 1 12:49:59 MST 2006

Ok, his gnome just locked up again.

We killed ESD and voila, everything came back to life right away.

So we noticed that it happened with XMMS playing, and Thunderbird would
get a new mail message and try to play it's email notification sound.

So it appears that it was contention for the sound card.

Tom, my coworker says that you rock. :)

Dan

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Dan> Both are experiencing issues with Gnome where the panel will freeze
> Dan> and Thunderbird will freeze.  Sometimes you can do things like open a
> Dan> new terminal window.
>
> This could be many things.  I've seen it happen here when there is
> some kind of contention for the audio device -- if I kill esd, the
> panel starts working again.  I don't know what exactly triggers this
> problem though.
>
> Tom

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep.  He waits.