[lug] How to VNC via ssh from RH8 to Win2003 Server?

Ron Wright halsaves at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 17:34:25 MST 2006

On 3/1/06, Siegfried Heintze <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use vncserver to establish a session on Windows2003Server. I
> get the password prompt and then the Windows Splash/login screen says to
> "ctrl-alt-del" to get the login prompt.
>
> Well I type the three fingered salute and linux (RH8) asks me if I want to
> terminate the session.
>
> No I don't want to terminate it! I want to login! How do I do this?
>
> Also: what is the command to run vncviewer via ssh (assuming I had the
> cygwin sshd running on windows).

I would question whether VNC is the right tool (ever?) now that you
can do RDP to the console with Windows 2003.  Use "rdesktop -0".  RDP
used 40-bit encryption too, so you might not need ssh.  You can bump
RDP up to 128 bit, but I'm not sure that the open source RDP clients
support it.  RDP is much much snappier than VNC.

Ron