[lug] Linux | VMware | Xen question..

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Fri Mar 3 17:51:17 MST 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 17:36, Hugh Brown wrote:

> I'm not entirely clear on how you'd do native windows and a vm windows
> w/o essentially having two windows installations.  Granted I'm not a
> vmware expert, but in my experience thus far, when you create a vm in
> vmware it corresponds to a single file on the filesystem.  I really
> doubt you could go back and

I admit I had mixed success when I attempted this myself.

What I did was roughly this:

1. boot windows as normal.
2. once you are in, save the current hardware config as a profile other than
the default.
3.  Boot linux, whatever
4.  start up vmware (Assuming you have already configured vmware to boot with
the raw disk)  It may prompt you for a hardware profile.. If so, select
'default'.
5.  The default hardware profile will then be destroyed in favor of the vmware
drivers.  Install them all, reboot (within vmware)..

6.  Save the VMware hardware config as its own profile (once it is working).

I don't even recall which version of Windows this was exactly, most likely
windows 98SE or Windows 2000. So, this process may be different now.

So, this is not like keeping 2 full sets of windows around.. that would be
pretty large..  Just the hardware information and drivers loaded.

--
Michael