[lug] Linux | VMware | Xen question..

thad thad.mailist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 10:45:57 MST 2006

Im running WinXP on HPDV1000 and this notebook is not mine but my sister let
me used it so long I wont be doing any alteration in its partition. I like
working Linux and BSD so what I did is get a VMPlayer and Ubuntu Linux from
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/community.html. I also got Puppy Linux
and minimal BSD from http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/ This work fine
with me and my plan is to set-up Samba in Linux so I can have a shared
folder that will work for host OS (XP) that is NTFS and guest OS.

VMWare player is great and it provides alternative solution for dual booting
with less complexity specially in dealing with newer hardware. I just had my
wireless-g work with it. I agree with you HAL is handled very well, my only
problem the clock wont sync but over all I can work on everthing I want to
do in Linux.

If you want build your own VM, this is a website though I have not played
with it yet:

http://www.consolevision.com/members/dcgrendel/vmxform.html

thad

On 3/5/06, Tony Dyson <anorak at comcast.net> wrote:

> Subjectively, I'd agree with that. Possibly it's because VMWare
> introduces a more effective HAL.
>
> Other problems can be introduced though. Periodically VMWare locks my
> system completely. A couple of years ago I had a VM file corrupted after
> a lock-up. Since then I've disabled write-behind caching & that hasn't
> happened again.
>
> It's worthwhile searching the VMWare support forums to see if there are
> known problems with the Linux version &/or hardware you want to use.
>
> Jeff wrote:
> > Ironically, I've found more often than not that Windows is more stable
> > through VMWare than natively.

sometimes thruth is stranger than fiction
-bad religion-
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/mailist