[lug] Linux | VMware | Xen question..

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Mar 5 22:50:13 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:19:55PM -0700, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
>I'm upgrading the hard drives in my home desktop, which is currently a
>dual boot machine with Gentoo and Windows XP Pro.  The Windows drive is

Xen requires that the OS be ported to the Xen hypervisor to be virtualized
under Xen.  Currently, with the Xen version 3, the only guest OS that's
been ported, last I looked about a month ago, was Linux 2.6.

New Intel CPUs have been promised to allow virtualization of unmodified
OSs, which should allow for Windows virtualization.

Also, Xen works really well on a server which just does virtualization of
images.  That's what it's designed for.  Trying to run it on a desktop with
one of the hypervised systems running X windows and audio is likely to be
hard to set up and maintain, and I've heard reports of stability issues
when running X under Xen, but that was a while ago.  I helped a local
friend set up Xen in this sort of configuration and it was tricky, and
eventually he abandoned the plan of using Xen virtualization on that
desktop system.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of
 another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him. -- T.J.