[lug] More Server Problems

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Mar 6 08:17:38 MST 2006

No. The individual data set are really small. I just hope to have a lot of
them.

> These sorts of boxes usually start at $15k and go up pretty
> quickly from
> there.  If it's your only box, what are you going to do for
> your clients to
> ensure availability?  Spent the big dough on the 4 hour
> on-site support and
> field the calls the 4, 6, 8, or more hours until they've
> fixed it?  Buy
> another cold spare box, doubling the price?

That's a pretty good point.

> For that same $15k you can get 17 1U lower-end machines, with
> a total of
> 16GB or even 32GB of total memory, *AND* have a cold spare,
> plus reduce

The problem then is that I have 16 times more machines to update and manage.
Additionally, the uptime formula is (if I remember right) the (Number of
Boxes * SquareRoot(Probability of Failure))^2. My own experince tells me
that if I have 16 machines with drive mirroring, 2-4 of those mirrored
drives are going to die in the first year.

> sales dictate, instead of having to spend the $15k or more up
> front and
> then find the clients.

I don't think there was every any chance of that <g>.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585