[lug] MB Replacement

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 6 14:23:11 MST 2006

Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov wrote:
> Over the weekend the motherboard in my main computer died.  I've just
> ordered a replacement, though not the same model.  Will I have to do a
> full install again (Kubuntu 5.10), or will I be able to get things going
> without reinstalling?
>
> Gary

Heh... the correct technical answer is...

It depends.  (On a LOT of things.)

:-)

You're basically in a raw-metal disaster recovery scenario, and
apparently an untested one.  ;-)

First advice:  JuPut the old disk in another Linux machine, back it up
thoroughly, and then give it a whirl.

Best case: Disk geometry acts the same to the bootloader, anything that
changed is autodetected, dthe correct modules are loaded, and all is well.

Medium (and probably most dangerous and annoying from a "production"
standpoint) case: The box boots and everything looks great for a few
weeks until you notice that all of your data is being corrupted by an
unsupported chipset on the new motherboard.  (BACKUPS!!!)

Worst case: Box won't boot with old hard disk.  Have to backup all data,
using another box and drive, reinstall Kubuntu and all applications, and
restore data... standard disaster recovery procedures, and
time-consuming... but can also reap other benefits like cleaning up
configurations people left lying around, and files that are unnecessary.

Nate