[lug] More Server Problems

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 6 18:28:09 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:

>> Sun's OS keeps moving forward, and is a hell of a lot more stable than
>> the equivalent Linux packages doing the same types of disk
>> virtualization, etc... but no one's looking.
>
> But it's not Free[1].

Not Free as in Freedom, but Free as in Beer... just doing the economics
of it (and ignoring the social aspects, which one should never fully
do... GRIN...), the 3-4 year old Sun box is a pretty good deal right now.

>  1. Admittedly being able to make Freedom a top criteria when choosing
> software (and not needing all Sun's gizmos for anything) is a luxury. So
> I admit, I'm really spoiled.

I think a lot of us are.  ;-)

I certainly use Debian and Fedora Core on everything I have running on
the Net right now... but the siren call of a $250 Sun box that cost $50k
new (and has the engineering lineage to prove it) to put in the rack...
is somewhat alluring right now.

Of course, making sure everything you need to run (if you choose Linux
to run on it) is important, too... should have mentioned that.  Not
everything is.

Nate