[lug] rpm verify

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Thu Mar 9 12:46:17 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 12:18 -0700, Hugh Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Warren Sanders wrote:

> > Hugh Brown wrote:
> > > rpm -V util-linux gives me this
> > >
> > > S.?......   /usr/bin/chfn
> > > SM5....TC   /usr/bin/chsh
> > > S.?......   /usr/bin/newgrp
> > >
> > > so what does the C in the final column mean for /usr/bin/chsh?
> > - From the man page:
> > The  format  of  the  output  is  a string of 8 characters, a possible
> > attribute marker:
<snip>

> I guess I don't see how this answers the question.  The man page
> references 8 columns, but there are now nine included in the output.
>
> e.g.  from the util-linux package again
>
> S.5....T. c /etc/pam.d/remote
> ..?....T.   /usr/bin/chfn
> SM5....TC   /usr/bin/chsh
>
> So on the /etc/pam.d/remote file, I see a string of 9 characters, an
> attribute marker and the filename.  On /usr/bin/chsh, I see the C in the
> final column and have no idea which test it represents.

Looking around the nets, it seems the C is an SELinux attribute:

"Yes it is selinux Context - check expected and actual with
matchpathcon /ls -lZ"

I suppose the fact I don't have SELinux enables is why I don't see it anywhere.

Matt
--
root *is* my user account!
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/