[lug] kernel upgrade to 2.6 and LILO

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 13 13:49:50 MST 2006

I want to update the kernel to 2.6 on a Sarge machine that is using
LILO.  During the update process I get the following message:

-----------
You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
2.6.8-2-686) This will not work unless you have configured your boot
loader to use initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to
use an INITial Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and
use that for booting).

    As a reminder, in order to configure LILO, you need
    to add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
    stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf

I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader -- please read your
bootloader documentation for details on how to add initrd images.

Do I make the initrd addition after proceeding with the upgrade but
before the reboot?  And so I'm totally clear, would the edited lilo.conf
file look like:

image=/vmlinuz
         label=Linux
         read-only