[lug] nifty linux desktop graphics tricks

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Mar 18 19:14:29 MST 2006

Nate Duehr wrote:
[...]
> Heh, yeah... I was thinking the performance increases he seems to
> describe were a good thing... the eye candy is secondary.

I was rather disappointed in the article.  The author was excited about
the performance of the live CD on a (to me) pretty high end machine,
compared to "normal".  But he didn't say a word about what was different
between normal and the system he was writing about.  (And maybe he was
even more excited about the performance displayed in a movie, which
doesn't seem overly newsworthy.)

I hope Xgl is a great technical innovation.  And that it discourages
people from using proprietary video drivers (doesn't sound like it
though).  But I think we should expect better from journalists.

Dave