[lug] Clock drifting

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 27 14:02:35 MST 2006

Ever since I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my system, my clock is running
fast, to the tune of about 15-20 minutes/day.

I run ntpdate at boot, then I'm running ntpd, and ntpq shows sync with
the time servers, but it only takes about an hour for things to drift
noticably.  I can manually run ntpdate periodically, but I would rather not.

This didn't happen under my previous OS, FC4, although I suppose it may
be coincidental, and something may have really broken during one of the
several recent reboots.  Can somebody advise on how to troubleshoot this
particular problem?