[lug] [OT] archive formats

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Mar 30 00:28:30 MST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 06:27:46PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Daniel Webb wrote:
> [...]
> >P.S. For those who don't know, VMWare is now giving away their basic
> >product
> >for free (beer, not speech).
>
> Which is that?  I assumed you meant VMware Workstation but it seems not.
>  I guess you meant player?

No, they changed the names of some of their products recently I think.
I never used their products before though, I just saw a post to that effect
somewhere.

They're calling it "VMWare Server Beta":

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

I've already had to reinstall once because it's time-limited.  They claim it
will still be free for the non-beta release.  I'm just using it for testing
compatibility, so it's not a big deal for me if they renege.  So far it seems
to be a fine product, it does a very good job of running Windows XP in Linux.
They must remap a the code on the fly to skip the virtualization layer where
possible, or there's no way it could be as fast as it is.